8.25.2009

"Dear Voice in My Head,"

So I have started out on a somewhat unknown venture with my internship for my masters. I feel a little disappointed, numb and really not sure if I am feeling good in these shoes, BUT I am determined to find the best and look for opportunities to grow.

Yesterday was my official day on the job and we had a group therapy session. One girl brought a letter she had written to the 'voice in her head'. It started with "Dear voice in my head,"... As this girl began to read this letter she became very emotional with it all. Really letting it all come out with choice words, screams and yells. This 'voice' for years had told her she was no good. That she was nothing but dirt and of no worth. It stopped her from even trying to go to school because 'she was so dumb'. It was empowering to see this girl realize that the 'voice in her head' didn't control her. That it lied. That she was more than nothing. She was herself and that mattered more. She conquered,overcame and now is beginning a long unknown and scary adventure of really believing who she has always been.

I think we all have this "voice in our head". I guess the choice is ours... do we let ourselves believe the voice or our self.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I hope your mother's voice in your head says, "I love you. You can do this. You are more precious than the stars!" xxoo Mom